Sunday, 28 March 2021

Rolex ref 6605 Datejust (from 1959)

Found this early Datejust ref 6605 in white gold bezel during my stay in Thailand.   

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Rolex 6605 Datejust from 1959

After World-war 2 Rolex created the first self-winding waterproof chronometer wristwatch that featured a date indication. For the first 10 years of production the date, shown at the 3 o’clock position, was not yet enhanced by the well-known ‘Cyclop lens’. This lens was introduced in 1955 and magnified the date by 2.5 times. 

This is a Rolex 6605 from the second quarter 1959 with the Cyclop len in white gold bezel and steel. I did not have the intention to buy at first when I visited my regular shop but my regular vintage watch shop owner Manoop insisted that I get this as it's the early version of the Datejust. I didn't recognize it at first until I saw the daphane hands with the pie pan dial. The movement is in good condition and the overall case is nice. The white gold bezel has smaller groves compared to the later Ref 1601. Given the escalating prices of the sports model, the Datejust seems like a good investment as prices continues to climb for these as well. 

I am starting to build up my vintage Datejust collection consisting of Pink gold bezel & steel 1601, and yellow gold bezel and steel 1601. This white gold bezel and steel 6605 will fit in nicely with the collection theme.


No comments:

Post a Comment

google.com, pub-9153422137839320, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

紅旗錶:三面紅旗

  2024 年,我將收藏的靈魂與目光,堅定錨定在中國中古腕錶最幽深、也最富傳奇色彩的秘境——「紅旗」。那是一個「仿品如潮,真跡如星」的稀缺世界;每一枚真品,都是被時代風暴掩埋的歷史殘卷,靜默承載著一段段沉浮往事。 在特定歷史時期,手錶並非日常用品,而是極少數權貴與精英方能擁有的...

google.com, pub-9153422137839320, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0