Sunday, 13 February 2022

Amida Digitrend 1970s

The Amida Digitrend was introduced in 1976 during Basel show. We need to remember that during the 1970s, the Japanese have managed to capture huge market share with their LED watches, and these were the hottest deals on the market. 

To compete with brands like Girard-Perregaux and Bulova and to offer a budget solution, Amida released the Digitrend watch. The Amidas, like the GPs or the Bulovas, were not only aesthetically cool timepieces, they were also driver watches. A driver watch is a timepiece you can wear and check the time while holding onto the steering wheel of your car without turning your wrist. It displays the time on the side of the watch rather on the top making it visible for the driver at all times. 


I have been on a look out for this 1970s watch for a while. There were two watches I was looking for namely the Wittnauer Futurama Double Retrograde Flyback, which I have managed to find last August 2021 and the Amida Digitrend. I have finally managed to find a Amida Digitrend from Germany yesterday. 











MB&F released their 5th horological machine the HM 5 several years ago and from the design perspective, the inspiration clearly came from these 1970’s drive watches.






No comments:

Post a Comment

google.com, pub-9153422137839320, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0

紅旗錶:三面紅旗

  2024 年,我將收藏的靈魂與目光,堅定錨定在中國中古腕錶最幽深、也最富傳奇色彩的秘境——「紅旗」。那是一個「仿品如潮,真跡如星」的稀缺世界;每一枚真品,都是被時代風暴掩埋的歷史殘卷,靜默承載著一段段沉浮往事。 在特定歷史時期,手錶並非日常用品,而是極少數權貴與精英方能擁有的...

google.com, pub-9153422137839320, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0